ME-305 MACHINE DESIGN
Theory = 3
Practical = 1
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLOs)
|1||Explain the basics of machine element design||Cognitive
|2||Select the machines elements under specified conditions||Cognitive
|3||Design machine elements using different industrial codes and standards||Cognitive
|4||Identify various faults in machine using pertinent fault detection techniques||Psychomotor
- Design of Machine Elements:
- Shafts and Columns: Shaft Types and Materials; Design of Shafts under Normal and Combined Loading; Static, Cyclic and Shock Loads; Torsional stiffness; Critical speeds; Shaft Materials Introduction to Flexible Shafting;Column; Types of End Conditions; Euler’s Column Theory; Connecting Rods and Crank Shafts.
- Bearing: Bearing types and Materials, Friction and Wear, Theory and Application of Lubrication and its Methods; Details design of Journal bearing and Thrust bearings, Rolling Contact Bearings, Bearing life, Bearing Load, Bearing Survival, The Reliability Goal, Selection of Ball and Straight Roller Bearings, Spherical and Tapered roller bearings; Selection of Tapered Roller Bearing.
- Plates and Shells: Introduction to the Design of Pressure Vessels, Thin and Thick Pressure vessels, Stresses in Thin and Thick Pressure Vessel, Compound Cylinders, Stresses in Compound Cylinders, Design of Plates, ASME Codes, Petro-Chemical piping systems; Design of rings and wheels.
- Gear Design: General gear theory; Design o the Spur gear;, The Lewis formula, the AGMA Stress Formula, The AGMA Strength Formula, Design of any one of the following types of gears; Helical, Worm, Bevel, gear; Gear Trains.
- Application of Industrial Codes: Introduction to Industrial Design Codes. Application of at least one Design standards i.e. ASME, BS, ANSI, JIS, DIN, and ISO in the design of Machine Elements and Assemblies.
- Elements of Micro Electro- Mechanical System(MEMS): MEMS manufacturing; Lithography, Etching, Micromachining; MEMS Devices; Sensors; Actuators; Springs and Fluid Flow devices.
(01) Mechanical Engineering Design by Shigley
*For details of Taxonomy Levels CLICK HERE!