HS-304 BUSINESS COMMUNICATION & ETHICS
Theory = 3
Practical = 0
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLOs)
|1||Identify different types of communication skills and demonstrate good oral communication skills in academic and professional environment||Coginitive
|2||To prepare students for writing different genres, contexts, purposes and audiences and to write effective messages (emails, memos, short reports, meeting notices, agenda and minutes, employment requests, cover letters) pertaining organizational communication||Coginitive
|3||To develop a sharp understanding towards professional ethics; and apply the principles and codes of ethics to solve cases and problems related to their professional activities||Coginitive
|4||To create effective letters to communicate with people at various levels at different stages of life||Coginitive
Communication Skills (Oral)
- Definitions and Conditions, Modes; verbal, non-verbal, vocal, non-vocal, sender, receiver, encoding, decoding, noise, context, emotional, relationships, etc.
- Language and perception, Distortion of thought, interference.
- Non-verbal, body language, physical appearance, cultural differences etc.
- Barriers to Comm: ambiguity, context, closure, prediction, pseudo listening.
- Listening: effective listening, benefits and ethics for listener.
- Personal and interpersonal skills/perceptions.
- Communication dilemmas and problems.
- Public Speaking – speaking situations, persuasive speeches/ interviews
- Types of messages and various approaches
- Formal/ Business letters various types
- Memos (brief revision).
- Notices and minutes of meetings, agenda, layout, language, Leadership styles.
- Contracts and agreements (basic theoretical knowledge and comprehension).
- Tenders (basic theoretical knowledge and comprehension).
- Participating in seminars, interviews, writing and presenting conference papers, solving IELTS type papers (Non-examination).
- Business reports (Short and Long) Research / Scientific reports.
Engineering / Business Ethics
- Course objective.
- Need for code of ethics, importance
- Type of ethics, involvement in daily life, professional ethics
- Problems/conflicts/dilemmas in application.
- Review of Pakistan Engineering Council Code of Conduct.
(01) Report Writing for Business by Lesikar and Pettit
(02) Business & Professional Communication by Roach, Gant, Allyn Perigo & Bacon
(03) Engineering Ethics by Flederman
*For details of Taxonomy Levels CLICK HERE!