ME-314 FLUID MECHANICS-II
Theory = 3
Practical = 0
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLOs)
|1||Application of potential flow theory to study the motion of fluid particles and flow of ideal fluids||Cognitive
|2||Analysis of viscous flows in simple geometries and boundary layer flows by using the Navier-Stokes equation||Cognitive
|3||Design, operation and performance of rotodynamic pumps and hydraulic turbines||Cognitive
- Fluid Kinematics: Reynolds Transport Theorem (RTT) and its application to conservation of mass, linear momentum and angular momentum, Equation of streamline in differential form, Fluid element kinematics, Vorticity and Circulation, Stokes’ theorem, Differential form of continuity equation.
- General Theory of Ideal Fluid Flow: Stream function, Velocity potential function, Flow net, Plane potential flows, uniform flow, line source & sink, free vortex, Superposition of elementary plane potential flows, doublet, flow past stationary and rotating cylinders.
- Viscous Fluid Flow: Differential form of linear momentum equation, Euler’s equations of motion, Viscous flow of incompressible Newtonian fluids, Stokes’ viscosity law for Newtonian fluids, Navier-Stokes equations, steady laminar flow between parallel plates, Couette flow, Hagen-Poiseuille flow, Hydrodynamic lubrication, Reynolds’ equation, application to infinitely long & short journal bearings, Lift and drag forces.
- Boundary Layer Theory: Boundary layer development on a flat plate, Boundary layer thicknesses, Laminar boundary layer exact solution, Momentum integral analysis, Turbulent boundary layer, Boundary layer with pressure gradient, boundary layer separation and control.
- Airfoil Theory: Airfoil geometry and nomenclature, Symmetric & cambered airfoils, Airfoils of infinite and finite span, Characteristic curves, Lift generation, Magnus effect & Kutta-Joukowski theorem.
- Turbomachines: Classification, Euler turbine equation, Centrifugal pumps, construction, classification, performance, characteristic curves, NPSH, System curve and operating point, Series and parallel operation of pumps, Hydraulic turbines, analysis of reaction and impulse turbines, Similarity laws for turbomachines, Specific speed.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics: Fundamentals, discretization of flow field and equations of motion, discretization methods, Finite difference approximations of first and second partial derivatives, Solution of resulting systems of algebraic equations.
- Note: Experimental determination of characteristic curves for pumps, and Impulse, Kaplan and Francis turbines will be performed in the lab.
(01) Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics by Munson, Young & Okiishi
(02) Fluid Mechanics by Frank, M White
(03) Engineering Fluid Mechanics by C T , Crowe, D F Elger
(04) Fluid Mechanics by Joseph Franzini
*For details of Taxonomy Levels CLICK HERE!