ME-215 INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES
Theory = 2
Practical = 1
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLOs)
|1||Explain the basic knowledge, construction and working of various types of IC Engines and its components||Coginitive
|2||Solve numerical problems related to the design and operations of IC Engines||Coginitive
|3||Analyze the effect of engine operating parameters on engine performance and environmental effects of emissions||Coginitive
|4||Grasp the working and performance of different types of basic & modern IC Engines and their major components||Psychomotor
- Basic Engine Types and their Operation: Four-stroke spark ignition engine, Speed and load control in S.I engine, The Four-stroke compression Ignition Engine, Speed and Load Control in C.I engine, The two-stroke cycle, Supercharging, Wankel rotary engine.
- Testing: Measurement of engine torque and power, Dynamometer principle, Different types of dynamometers: Measurement of brake and indicated horse power, Mechanical pressure indicators, Use of indicator diagram, Use of On-board Diagnostics.
- Combustion: Combustion Equations, Heat of Combustion, Higher and lower heating values, Adiabatic flame temperature.
- Equilibrium Charts: Idealized cycles and processes, The diesel cycle, The dual cycle, Regenerative cycles, Brayton cycle.
- Fuels: The natural fuels, Non-petroleum fuels, Characteristics of S.I and C.I engine fuels, LPG as I.C. engine fuel, Octane and Cetane number, Knock and engine Variable: Autoignition in S.I and C.I engines, Knock and S.I engine, Knock and the C.I engine.
- Exhaust Gas Analysis and Air Pollution: Air Pollution and the engine, Air pollution and the fuel, Control of exhaust-Gas constituents.
- Fuel Metering of SI Engine: The Engine requirements, The Elementary carburetor, Elements of complete carburetor, Calculation of Air: Fuel ratio, Gasoline injection system, Stratified charging.
- Fuel Metering of CI Engine: C.I injection systems, C.I engine nozzles, Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI)
- Engine Characteristics: Heat transfer and the engine valve, Timing diagram.
- Lubrication: Engine-Lubrication systems: Engine performance and lubrication, Lubricants of different kinds.
(01) V Ganesan, Internal Combustion Engines, 4th Ed. McGraw Hill Education, 2017.
(02) W. Pulkrabek, Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine, 2nd Ed. Pearson, 2003.
*For details of Taxonomy Levels CLICK HERE!