ME-568 HYDRO POWER PLANTS
Credit Hours = 3
- Components of a hydropower plant, factors affecting hydro plant capacity.
- Types of dams, hydraulic turbines including Francis, Kaplan, Pelton and Turgo, mechanical design, hydraulic design, prototype operation.
- Performance and testing of governers; valves; flow control and closure gates.
- Auxiliary systems including compressed air system, tunnel and penstock dewatering systems, oil handling systems.
- Environmental control, effects on stream flows, aquatic life and water quality.
- Turbine performance and efficiency, hydropower economics & maintenance considerations.
(01) Guide to Hydropower Mechanical Design by ASME
(02) Small Hydroelectric Engineering Practice by Bryan Leyland
(03) Hydropower Economics by Finn Forsund
(04) Hydropower: Types, Development Strategies and Environmental Impacts by Claude Rupert