ME-551 INTRODUCTION TO COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS
Credit Hours = 3
- Review of Fluid Transport Equations: Continuity Equation, Momentum Equations, Vorticity Transport Equation, Stream Function Equation, Heat and Mass Transport Equations, Turbulence Transport Equation.
- Classification and Application of Partial Differential Equations: Elliptic, parabolic and hyperbolic partial differential equations, Laplace Equation, Heat Equation, Wave Equation, Burger’s Equation.
- Methods of Discretization of Partial Differential Equations: Taylor Series Expansion, Polynomial Curve Fitting, Galerkin’s Integral Method, Control-Volume Method.
- Error Analysis: Truncation Errors, Round-off Errors, Aliasing Errors.
- Stability Analysis and Convergence: Discrete Perturbation Stability Analysis, Von Nuemann Stability Analysis.
- Numerical Solution Methods: Explicit and Implicit Methods, Upwind Differencing, Power Law and Hybrid Differencing. The SIMPLE scheme, The QUICK scheme.
- Grids: Grid generation, types and grid refinement: uniform, non-uniform, simple, staggered and boundary-fitted grids.
- Implementation of Boundary Conditions: Numerical Treatment of Dirichlet, Nuemann, and Mixed type boundary conditions.
- Hands on experience with CFD software.