ME-550 NUMERICAL METHODS IN HEAT TRANSFER
Credit Hours = 3
- Methods of prediction: Experimental investigation and analytical methods; their limitation and strength.
- Equations governing transport phenomena: Energy equation, mass conservation equation, momentum equation, Kε-dissipation equation, Physical meaning of parabolic, elliptic and hyperbolic equations.
- Discretization methods: Introduction to method of deriving discretization equations; control volume formulation; numerical solution of heat conduction problem; steady and un-steady one dimensional conduction; two and three dimensional problems; solution of algebraic equation; relaxation.
- Convection and Diffusion: Different schemes in comparisons to exact solution; discretization one; two and three dimensions; boundary condition; false diffusion.
- Calculation of the flow field: Need for a staggered grid; pressure and velocity corrections; SIMPLE and SIMPLER algorithms; different applications.